Saint Edmund, Downham Market, Norfolk

 Online Visit - Early Glass

Navigation
Most of the stained glass in the Church is 19th Century, but all of the windows in the Tower (ringing chamber) contain mediaeval glass, some mid-15th Century (c.1450-70), some early-14th Century (c.1310-1320), and considered to be rather good.

This is assembled into six panels:-

1. Naked souls at the Last Judgement, c.1460 -70
2. More with a demi-angel. c.1450-60
3. Composite demi-angel, issuing from clouds
4. Finely drawn head (?BVM) of Norwich School
5. St Barnabas under a canopy c.1310-20
6. Seraphim standing on wheel with replacement head

For its period, an image of St Barnabas is quite rare, as are the glimpses of musical instruments that are displayed within the windows. More medieval fragments have been assembled in the side lancets in a decorative manner.




Naked souls at the Last Judgement
Naked souls at the Last Judgement

More with a demi-angel
More with a demi-angel

Composite demi-angel, issuing from clouds
Composite demi-angel, issuing from clouds

Finely drawn head (?BVM) of Norwich School
Finely drawn head (?BVM) of Norwich School

St Barnabas under a canopy
St Barnabas under a canopy

Seraphim standing on wheel with replacement head
Seraphim standing on wheel with replacement head