The eight bells in the Tower are in full working order and date from 1769 to 1787, and the largest bell (Tenor) weighs around 12cwt (610kg). The bells were re-hung in 1896 when the Tower and Spire were restored; again in 1929 in a new wooden frame; and again in 1980 after part of the woodwork required some restoration.

In 2019, a very generous benefaction provided for the installation of an automated chiming system by John Taylor & Co, the Loughborough Bell Foundry, to enable the bells to be sounded when a band of ringers was not available.  This is a very welcome addition to S. Edmund’s facilities.

This tower has a wonderful record of bell ringing. The first recorded peal was rung in 1771 by a team from Norwich, who rang a full Peal of 5040 changes of ‘Bob Major’ in 3 hours 4 minutes.

More recently, a full Peal of 5056 changes of ‘Pudsey Surprise Major’ was rung on the bells of St Edmunds Church on Saturday, 2nd June 2001, in 2 hours 45 minutes, to mark the occasion of Downham Market’s 27th Annual Festival week. The ringers were mostly visitors from Lancashire with one from Somerset and two from Downham, with Peter Waterfield from Downham Market conducting.

Bell Inscriptions

1. T. Osborn. 1787
2. Cum Vogo Venite. J Eayre fecit 1771
3. Henry Edgar and Richard Carter, Churchwardens 1786. (Recast 1949)
4. Osborn and Arnold, St Neots, Hunts, fecit. The gift of Rev. D. Poynt, R. Layton and R. Powditch Churchwardens 1774.
5. Joseph Eayre St. Neots fecit 1769.
6. The gift – – Joseph Eayre fecit 1771.
7. Pack and Chapman of London fecit 1771.
8. Arnold and Osborn St. Neots fecit 1773.