The Lady Chapel (named in honour of Our Lady, the Blessed Virgin Mary), situated at the top of the south aisle, was built as part of the alterations around 1500. The outside brickwork is mostly Tudor. There is an elaborate painted Consecration Cross on the south wall. Also a small recess, which was probably an ancient Piscina (sink used for the ablutions of the sacred vessels at Mass). Outside the entrance to the Lady Chapel is another early Piscina (currently housing a statue of Our Lady of Walsingham), which probably indicates what an Altar stood before the Lady Chapel was built. The small door in the East wall was re-cut near where there was thought to have been a Priest’s door years ago.

Lady Chapel – as it looks now, following the 2004 reordering. (Note the more proportionate altar, and now 12 can be seated.)

Lady Chapel – before the 2004 reordering. (Note the very large altar for the space available and room for only 7 seated.)

Lectern hanging of Madonna & Child by Wendy Oakeshott (2004)

An Aumbry for the Reservation of the Blessed Sacrament is set into the East wall, above a modern light oak Altar (originally this served as the Chancel Altar, and was exchanged with the Lady Chapel Altar in 2003/4 as part of a gentle re-ordering, including the provision of 12 new chairs and a lectern hanging by Wendy Oakeshott, showing Our Lady presenting Christ the Word to the world.)